by USAG Bavaria Environmental Division Staff


GRAFENWOEHR, Germany — Under the Final Governing Standards for Germany, recent tests performed in U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria in 2018 show results are clear of lead-based paint, asbestos and lead in drinking water for family housing and unit facilities.


USAG Bavaria and other U.S. Army Garrisons across Germany follow the Final Governing Standards for Germany to perform routine testing of lead-based paint, asbestos and lead in drinking water in housing and unit facilities on military installations.


In addition to routine testing, Headquarters Department of the Army has established a testing program for homes that exceed the requirements of the Final Governing Standards for Germany.


Currently, 10 percent of buildings have been completed, with the remaining 90 percent of testing to be finalized based on upcoming funding and guidance from Installation Management Command.


All tests which result in exceeding value limits for lead and asbestos will be set for immediate retesting and corrective action.


Housing units and facilities occupied by children 6 or younger are prioritized through the Army’s lead-based paint management program, asbestos management program and drinking water program.


Landlords of private rental housing are required by law to ensure houses are clear of lead in paint and water, according to the USAG Bavaria Housing Office.


The U.S. Federal Government banned lead-based paint from use in housing in 1978. Therefore, houses built before 1978 may contain some level of lead-based paint. Lead-based paint is not hazardous if it is contained under other coats of paint. However, if it is peeling, cracking, stripped or otherwise disturbed, it can be harmful if ingested.


According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral in rock and soil, utilized in building construction materials. Exposure may occur only when the asbestos-containing material is disturbed or damaged in some way to release particles and fibers into the air.


To learn more about these tests, sample reports and how to protect yourself, please visit the USAG Bavaria website.

Categories: Environmental News