Defense Commissary Agency news release
FORT LEE, Va. — The month of May is the commissary’s time to recognize the strength, courage and sacrifices of military family members, especially mothers.
“It’s Military Appreciation Month for commissaries, and we’re saying ‘thank you’ to our servicemen and women, retirees and their family members through events and sales that reflect how much we appreciate their service and their patronage,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director.
“Our commissaries would not exist if it were not for the men and women who have served before and set a high standard for those who follow them in service to our country,” she added.
Aside from Military Spouse Day, Mother’s Day and Armed Forces Day, a big highlight of the month, Memorial Day, is the unofficial start of summer and signals the official start of the Healthy Lifestyle Festivals at commissaries.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store managers to verify if and when their stores will be offering the following sales events:
- Coca-Cola’s NASCAR Salutes My Military Hero Program: NASCAR, Coca-Cola, the USO and the commissary have teamed up to bring you the NASCAR Salutes My Military Hero Program in honor of Military Appreciation Month. Active, Reserve, National Guard, retired service members and their families can enter to win a trip to Richmond, Virginia, to attend the Federated Auto Parts 400 and meet race car driver Kyle Larson. Look for the My Military Hero Coca-Cola in-store displays for details on how to enter and win. This event runs from May 1 to 31.
- Smithfield Sweepstakes – Win a VIP Race Day Experience Continues: Commissary shoppers can still enter to win a chance to meet Smithfield #10 stock car driver Aric Almirola. This grand prize includes a three-day/two-night trip for two to the race of their choice in the continental United States, hotel stay, spending cash, a personal meet-and-greet with Almirola and more. To enter for a chance to win, text “DECA” to short code 797979 using your SMS-enabled cellphone, along with a photo of your receipt from a commissary showing the purchase of any three or more Smithfield brand products in a single transaction during the sweepstakes period. In addition to the grand prize, 15 first-prize winners will each receive one $50 commissary gift card. Look for Smithfield displays at your local commissary. To participate and read the official rules, visit the SmithfieldDeCASweeps The sweepstakes ends May 5.
- Sidewalk Sales: The majority of commissaries worldwide are holding a sidewalk sale in conjunction with May’s Military Appreciation Month. Weather permitting, every commissary worldwide will have one event – a two- or three-day outdoor sidewalk weekend sale (a maximum of four days) – offering extra savings including special deals on some case- and club-pack items. Several commissaries will partner with exchanges for certain promotions linked to this event. Patrons are encouraged to check their store’s web page for sale dates and hours and more details. In addition to the case lot formats found in commercial club stores, commissary sidewalk events also offer additional “mix and match” packages of similar items in bulk-size cases. This event runs until May 31.
- It Has To Be Heinz 150th Ketchup Anniversary: Heinz Ketchup is celebrating 150 years and commissary customers can join the fun by throwing a backyard barbecue party of their own with a $150 commissary gift card. Additionally, commissary customers can take home a basket full of savings by using high-value coupons on the following participating brands: Heinz, Kraft, Ore-Ida, Delimex, TGI Friday’s, Devour, Smart Ones, Smart Made, Cracker Barrel, Miracle Whip, Jack Daniels, Oscar Mayer, Velveeta, Country Time, Capri Sun, Kool Aid, Crystal Light, Maxwell House, Gevalia, Planters and McCafe.
- Fritos and Carry the Load: Fritos is saluting our nation’s heroes by partnering with the commissary and Carry the Load. Fritos will donate $100,000 to Carry the Load to help provide direct support to our nation’s heroes and their families. Carry the Load is a non-profit organization that honors and celebrates active duty military and veterans, first responders and their families. Fritos encourages patrons to find an event and join in honoring our nation’s heroes. Then, post a salute picture using #FritosSalutes. Look for the Fritos Salutes Carry the Load in-store displays for details. This event runs from May 13 to July 13.
“Don’t forget that the commissary is committed to putting our service members and their families first and providing quality products at competitive prices,” O’Neal said. “Give us your feedback by following us on any of the social media platforms, or completing the survey at the bottom of your sales receipt. As always, we look forward to hearing from you.”