Seventh and eighth grade journalism students work together building a news article based on their interview of Ms. Taylor. The journalism class is getting results. Journalism students, for example, produce a school news show made up of student news segments about local events and important world news. Photo by Luz Pasillas.

By Seventh & Eighth Grade Journalism Students, Netzaberg Middle School
Photos by Luz Pasillas and Alexander Holt, Seventh Grade

NETZABERG, Germany — Ms. Taylor teaches seventh grade language arts at Netzaberg Middle School.

Together with Ms. Behrendt, the two teachers have been teaching a journalism class called KTV, which stands for Knight TV. The mascot for Netzaberg Middle School is the Knight.

Ms. Taylor comes from a family of educators, so teaching language arts and journalism comes naturally.

“I went to school for journalism and I come from a family of educators,” Ms. Taylor said. “Teaching journalism is one of my passions. KTV is journalism by the students, for the students.”

The journalism class is getting results. Journalism students, for example, produce a school news show made up of student news segments about local events and important world news.

Garrison PAO Nathan Van Schaik explains the rule of thirds to journalism students. The journalism students operate and manage KTV, which stands for Knight TV. The mascot for Netzaberg Middle School is the Knight. Photo by Luz Pasillas.

“We want our students to learn how to work in teams, to write and produce video news reports, and deliver a polished final product that they can be proud of,” Ms. Taylor said. 

Ms. Taylor attended San Diego State, studied abroad in London and finished at Sacramento State to be closer to her family. She began teaching in 2007 in California.

Ms. Taylor’s favorite food is anything Italian, and her favorite music includes Lizzo and Bruno Mars, though “Justin Bieber will always have a piece of my heart,” she said.

Ms. Taylor loves to travel, see new places and try new things.

When pressed if she were a VSCO girl, she laughed and said she was “not full on.”

“I have VSCO girl tendencies,” Ms. Taylor said.

Editor’s note: Nathan Van Schaik of the U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria Public Affairs Office assisted with writing, editing and publishing this article.

Categories: News School News