Photo by Andreas Kreuzer, USAG Bavaria Public Affairs

By Tom Janis, USAG Bavaria Emergency Manager

Dear USAG Bavaria Community,

The winter months are upon us and that can often bring challenging weather conditions. We want to remind community members that USAG Bavaria monitors weather conditions daily in case school must be cancelled, delayed, or closed early due to weather. Parents and students should have a well communicated family plan in place in the event of emergency weather situations.

The safety of our community is our number one priority whenever a decision is made regarding school closures and delays. USAG Bavaria reviews information from the U.S. Air Force weather offices and the Directorate of Emergency Services (DES) about road conditions. This information contributes to the final decision about a delay or closing.

Due to the speed of updating, the official ALERT! mass notification system account is generally the first and fastest mode of communication. Other communication channels will be updated as quickly as possible including email, text, website, other social media, and AFN news stations.

USAG Bavaria tries to make decisions in the evening, realizing that parents need time to make proper arrangements. But when there is a great deal of uncertainty, we wait to receive the latest morning forecast. In that case, the affected school and garrison leadership decides whether to delay or close schools by approximately 4:30 a.m.

More information about weather cancellation procedures is available online

at www.bavariannews.com/BadWeather.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.