By Laura Garcia, program specialist with Army Substance Abuse Program (ASAP)
GRAFENWOEHR, Germany — Is you family experiencing a lull in their summer fun? Check out these ideas aimed to beat the heat. Enjoy the remaining warm days ahead, as these activities will bring out the kid within all of us.
- Make homemade fruit slushies by freezing and blending watermelon chunks, along with some water, in a blender.
- For an at home experience, set up an inflatable pool or pull out the garden hose and lawn sprinkler for your children.
- Get out early in the day to have a breakfast picnic. Bring breakfast items, spread out a blanket and beat the heat.
- Set up an ice cream social. Preparing a couple of different flavors of ice cream, a few toppings and edible bowls or cones will allow everyone to make their own ice cream treat.
- Get yourself a bubble wand and solution for cheap, classic fun.
- If the night is clear, allow the kids stay up a little later and grab a blanket, go outside and look up at the stars. It’s always nice to observe the universe around us.
- Host your own indoors tennis championship. For rackets, each player will need a paper plate taped to a ruler. Then blow up a balloon to use as the ball.
- Host contests involving water balloons. Either see who can get their balloon into the pool from a set distance away. Or pair up and toss the water balloon back and forth. Players will start close together, and then keep backing up. The first team to break the balloon loses.
- Teach your kids summer games from your childhood, such as the egg-and-spoon race.
- Include the family in making foil wrapped dinner and dessert packets. Family members can choose their own items to put in their individual packets (i.e. a piece of corn, a hunk of sausage, some potatoes, butter and seasoning). Have an adult cook the packets over a grill, and after a short while you will have a homemade version of a low-country boil. For dessert foil packets, slice a banana down the center — long ways — leaving the peel on. Add in some mini-marshmallows, mini-chocolate or peanut butter chips and even some chopped nuts. Wrap it all in foil, and cook the dessert over the grill. In approximately 5 minutes, you will have a very sweet dessert.
The 2021 Summer Sense Campaign runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Every week, ASAP expects to bring the segments of the campaign to the small screen with videos and fun facts broadcasted via AFN TV. Then return to this article for the discussed recipes, quizzes and more.