Grafenwoehr Training Area sunset. (USAG Bavaria Photo)
By Laura Garcia, program specialist with Army Substance Abuse Program (ASAP)
GRAFENWOEHR, Germany — Summer is coming to an end, and Labor Day is typically the last big event of the season. However, the fun does not need to end. Here are ideas for some last minute safe, summer fun:
- Plan a game night with the kids, including a corn hole set, wading pool and picnic games.
- Set up an end of summer ice cream social. Introduce some soda, and you can easily turn this into a root beer float social.
- Plan a summer-themed movie night.
- Buy and eat a watermelon, while they are still in season.
- Set up an at-home photo booth. Bring out some summer props and have the kids dress up. Take pictures and share them with family members and loved ones in the United States.
- Host a dance party with your family. Set up some music, a table of snacks and party on safely.
- Fire up the grill one more time, and have everyone prepare their own dinners. Provide meats, veggies, a variety of sauce and aluminum foil squares. People can individually fill their foil squares, fold them up and then grill until cooked. You can also grill dessert foil packets by providing the options of fruit, peanut butter, chocolate spread and nuts.
- Lastly, leap into the fall season by preparing foods and drinks related to the upcoming season.
Summer may be ending, but the fun does not have to stop. Enjoy the outdoors for as long as you can, and most importantly stay safe!
The 2021 Summer Sense Campaign runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Every week, ASAP expects to bring the segments of the campaign to the small screen with videos and fun facts broadcasted via AFN TV. Then return to this article for the discussed recipes, quizzes and more.