VA OCONUS Connection Bulletin (June 2021)
To view the original bulletin, please visit: 


COVID-19 Vaccine

Veterans currently living or traveling outside the United States, who are eligible for the VA Foreign Medical Program, can receive reimbursement from VA for a COVID-19 vaccine.

We can pay for a COVID-19 vaccine that is formally approved for use by the national health authorities of the country in which the Veteran receives the vaccine. It does not need to be a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has information about FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

Getting a Vaccine

Veterans should make arrangements to receive a COVID-19 vaccine from a provider in their community.


After you get the vaccine, ask the provider to send a claim directly to VA for reimbursement. If the provider doesn’t send the claim directly to VA, then you will need to pay the provider and then submit a claim to FMP — including proof of payment.

The process for submitting claims is the same for the provider and the Veteran. To submit a claim, complete VA Form 10-7959f-2, FMP Claim Cover Sheet. Make sure to include:

  • Veteran’s full name
  • U.S. Social Security number
  • VA claim file number
  • Date of birth
  • Physical address
  • Mailing address
  • Country
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address

Next, attach an itemized invoice or receipt from the provider for the COVID-19 vaccine and its administration. It is recommended that both the form and any invoices or receipts be written in English. While FMP will translate the claim submission if provided in another language, this will add time to obtain the translation.  It is also recommended that you retain a copy of the completed form and any invoices/receipts for your records.

Make sure the provider’s receipt or invoice includes:

  • Provider’s full name, medical title, office address, phone number, and billing address (if different from the office address),
  • Name of the COVID-19 vaccine/vaccine manufacturer
  • Billed charge and date(s) for each service

Mail the completed form and invoices/receipts to:

VHA Office of Community Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Please note that claim amounts are converted to U.S. dollars according to the foreign currency rate on the date of service, and claims must be submitted within two years from the date of service. Once approved, reimbursement is provided via U.S. Treasury check, usually within 145 days.

Certain countries are excluded from FMP; therefore, reimbursement for the cost of any treatment, including COVID-19 vaccines, cannot be provided for Veterans who receive services in countries where U.S. Department of Treasury checks are restricted or where travel is prohibited.

Coverage of COVID-19 vaccines to eligible Veterans under FMP was provided by the SAVE LIVES Act, enacted on March 24, 2021.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am a Veteran eligible for FMP.  Can VA send a COVID-19 vaccine that can be administered to me locally?
    • No, provision and administration of a COVID-19 vaccine is conducted locally.
  • I am a Veteran eligible for, but not enrolled in FMP. Can I still get a COVID-19 vaccine through FMP?
    • Yes, you can submit a claim to FMP to be reimbursed for the COVID-19 vaccine before enrolling in the program. If you are eligible, after VA receives your claim, VA will enroll you in the program, and then issue you the reimbursement. If you are not enrolled, be sure to include a completed Foreign Medical Program (FMP) Registration Form when submitting your claim.
  • I am a Veteran located in the Philippines. Can I get a COVID-19 vaccine directly through VA?
    • If you have access to the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic and are eligible for FMP, you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine directly from VA from that clinic. Information about the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic and COVID-19 vaccines are located at: and
    • If the VA Manila Outpatient Clinic is too far away or too difficult to access, you can receive a COVID-19 vaccine from a local community provider and send a claim to FMP for reimbursement, if you are eligible for FMP.
  • I am a Veteran located in a foreign country and not eligible for FMP. How do I get a COVID-19 vaccine?
    • Please refer to the local U.S. embassy website or social media account for the country in which you are located. Country-specific information and guidance for COVID-19, including vaccine availability, is located on the U.S. State Department website.
  • I am a Veteran eligible for and enrolled in FMP. Can my spouse and/or caregiver also get a COVID-19 vaccine through FMP?
    • Under current law, VA cannot reimburse COVID-19 vaccines for spouses and caregivers through FMP.

Contact Information for the Foreign Medical Program

For Veterans Living in Canada, Australia, Costa Rica, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain and the UK:

  • USA/Canada: 877-345-8179
  • Australia: 1-800-354 965
  • Costa Rica: 0800-013-0759
  • Germany: 0800-1800011
  • Italy: 800-782655
  • Japan: 00531-13-0871
  • Mexico: 001-877-345-8179
  • Spain: 900-981-776
  • UK: 0800-032-7425

General Inquiries

  • Email:
  • Phone (General Inquiries): 877-345-8179, Monday-Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. MT
  • Phone (Claim Inquiries): 303-331-7590, Monday-Friday, 8:05 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET

Questions About Your Claim? Contact Us!

Do you have questions about your pending VA compensation claim?  The Pittsburgh RO is charged with the special mission of processing claims for Veterans residing in most foreign countries (with the exception of the Philippines).

To schedule a phone or virtual interview with a representative from the Pittsburgh VA Regional Office:

Update: Overseas Military Service Coordinators

Due to COVID-19, Overseas Military Service Coordinators (OMSCs) will be extending virtual support operations to overseas Veterans, Service members, and their dependents through October 1, 2021. OMSCs will be responding to e-mails and arranging phone interviews for those seeking assistance with all VA benefits.

We invite all Veterans, Service members, and dependents who would like to speak to a VA representative about VA benefits to send your contact information to the email address listed for your location to set up a virtual appointment with an OMSC.

Veterans residing in European countries: OMSCGER1.VBAVACO@VA.GOV

Veterans residing in Asian countriesOMSCJAPANOK.VBAVACO@VA.GOV

Status of Operations: Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Offices

Both the Germany and Korea BDD offices are open for in-person assistance, by appointment only.

Landstuhl, Germany

Camp Humphreys, South Korea

As always, Veterans can continue to get information about benefits or file a claim for benefits by visiting our website at Veterans with claims specific or other questions may request information via Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) or by telephone at 1-800-827-1000, or 412-395-6272 for Veterans outside the US.

Other Than Honorable Discharge?

If your discharge was related to the following, you can be considered for a discharge upgrade:

  • Mental Health Conditions, including PTSD
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
  • Sexual Assault or Harassment (Military Sexual Trauma)
  • Sexual Orientation (Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell)

Consider scheduling an appointment to meet with a VA representative to assist you in applying for a discharge upgrade! To schedule an appointment, Veterans may call (412) 360-2832 or email PCU.VBAPIT@VA.GOV

Veteran Service Officers

What is an accredited representative?

An accredited representative is an individual who has undergone a formal application and training process and is recognized by VA as being capable of assisting claimants with their affairs before VA. Most accredited representatives work for Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs), many of which are private non-profit groups that advocate on behalf of Veterans, Service members, dependents and survivors.

What is the role of an accredited representative?

A VSO is trained to help you understand and apply for any VA benefits you may be entitled to including: compensationeducationvocational rehabilitation and employmenthome loanslife insurancepensionhealth care, and burial benefits. Additionally, your VSO can help you gather any evidence needed and submit a fully developed claim on your behalf. Many VSOs provide their services free-of-charge.

For more information on the role of an accredited representative and how to appoint a VSO or Representative, please visit:

Visit the original bulletin for the full list of Overseas Accredited VSOs:

Categories: Health & Lifestyle News