GRAFENWOEHR, Germany — U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria invites the Bavaria military community and all citizens to the 60th German-American Volksfest Aug. 3-5 at the Grafenwoehr Training Area’s Camp Kasserine.
This is Germany’s largest German-American Volksfest. There will be rides, music, face-painting, booths with souvenirs and gift items, food tents, jump castles, car and bike displays, and Army static displays.
Garrison officials in partnership with German authorities are taking immediate steps to minimize risks. Officials continue to assess threats daily alongside host nation counterparts and are taking appropriate measures to protect everyone.
Both German and American law enforcement will be policing the Volksfest grounds and associated areas. Increased force protection measures may cause delays at the gates and Volksfest entrance.
All participants are subject to search. Expect 100% ID checks and searches at all gates. City public buses are subject to search. Drunk and reckless behavior will not be tolerated.
To make the most of your Volksfest visit, attendees should adhere to the following:
- Backpacks and large bags exceeding 20 cm x 20 cm x 30 cm in size are prohibited. Purses, strollers and diaper bags are permitted.
- Medications are allowed, but attendees can only bring the dosage needed during the festival hours. Ensure you have your prescription with you.
- All non-DOD ID cardholders over the age of 16 must have an official ID such as a Personalausweiss or Reisepass to enter. A driver’s license is not enough.
- Citizens without a military ID can access the fest grounds two ways: Participants can take the public bus from Grafenwoehr, or drive through Gate 6 and park. Citizens are highly encouraged to take the public bus to avoid long wait times at the gate and to minimize traffic.
- Access to the fest grounds is open through Gate 6 on B-299 near Gründerzentrum Grafenwoehr. Non-DOD cardholders must enter through Gate 6. All other gates are open to DOD ID cardholders.
- Parking will be marked and available on the training area and downtown Grafenwoehr. When entering Gate 6, follow the signs to the parking areas.
- Public buses will take visitors every 15 to 30 minutes from the parking areas downtown to the fest grounds and back.
- Public bus stops are located at four locations: near the outdoor swimming pool (Waldbad), on Marienplatz in front of the town hall, at the German post office on Alte Amberger Straße and at the Gründerzentrum on B-299. Bus fee is €2 roundtrip for all citizens 15 and older. Children 14 and under ride for free.
- Community members are encouraged to ride the public buses to minimize traffic and wait times. Gate guards will search bags and check ID cards at the four bus stops.
- DOD cardholders are highly encouraged to enter through Gates 1 (pedestrian only), 3 or 20, park on-post and take the garrison shuttle to avoid traffic.
- The on-post garrison shuttle is for DOD ID cardholders only. Local National employees with valid installation passes are also authorized to ride the garrison shuttle. DOD ID cardholders and LN employees are not allowed to bring guests on the garrison shuttle.
- The garrison shuttle runs from the Grafenwoehr and Vilseck AAFES Exchanges every 15-30 minutes from 11 a.m. – 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 3 & 4; and 11 a.m. – 12:30 a.m. on Aug. 5. View the full Volksfest garrison schedule here. View more shuttle schedules at bavaria.army.mil/transportation. (Expect limited garrison shuttle service during the Volksfest. The R-1, R-2 and the R-5 will stop running at noon on Aug. 3. The R-6 is will not operate Aug. 4). The garrison shuttle is separate from the public bus.
- During the weekend, all regular traffic between Tower and Rose Barracks must use B299 unless drivers have a fest pass. Access to Camp Normandy and Camp Aachen remain open to service members and employees.
- Vehicular traffic must exit through Gate 4 (Tanzfleck). Simply follow the exit signs. This gate will be exit only during the fest.
- Department of Defense’s food safety regulations require personnel involved in the preparation, storage and general handling of food at public facilities to be food handler certified. Food Handler’s Course classes will be conducted in person every Friday in July until Volksfest at Bldg. 222, RM 212, on Rose Barracks from 9 – 10 a.m. Those wishing to take the online course can do so at http://rhce.amedd.army.mil/Bavaria/DPM/fhcc.cfm. For more information, contact Environmental Health.
A complete list of activities, bands and FAQs are available at the Grafenwoehr Family and MWR website: https://grafenwoehr.armymwr.com/calendar/event/60th-annual-grafenwoehr-german-american-volksfest/2451831/29528.